The Jennings Randolph Lake project (originally called Bloomington Lake) consists of a rolled earth and rockfill dam, rising 296 feet from the lake bottom. The dam, dike, and spillway extends 2130 feet across the valley. At its full conservation pool, the lake is approximately 6.6 miles long with a surface area of 952 acres. The project became operational in 1981. Project purposes include flood risk management, water quality, low flow augmentation, water supply, and recreation.
Tucked between Garrett County, Maryland, and Mineral County, West Virginia, Jennings Randolph Lake stretches along 5.5 miles of spectacular countryside on the North Branch of the Potomac River. The area is renowned for its unspoiled wilderness and natural beauty. The lake provides a sanctuary for countless birds, animals and fish where nature comes first and having fun is a close second.
Recreation opportunities at Jennings Randolph Lake include boat ramps for fishing and boating, beach and picnic areas, and the Robert W. Craig campground. Whitewater releases are made each spring from the dam's outlet works.
View our virtual tour here!
Check out a video tour of Jennings Randolph Lake: https://youtu.be/FK8OMEsWluU
OPENING/CLOSING DATES: Updated April 2021
Howell Run Boat Launch: Open for the 2021 season.
- Please be advised that the restroom facility at this boat launch is currently CLOSED and has been replaced temporarily by a port-a-john for public use.
Howell Run Picnic Area: Open May 1, 2021
- The picnic area is open for reservations between May 1 and Sept. 30, 2021. Outside of these dates, the area is open dependent on weather conditions and we cannot guarantee water will be available due to winterization.
Shaw Beach: Open May 1, 2021
- The Shaw Beach area will open May 1 for the 2021 recreation season and will remain open unless the project is experiencing a high-water event or other unsafe weather conditions.
RWCC: Open – May 1, 2021 | Closed – Sept. 30, 2021
MD & WV Overlooks: WV overlook is OPEN and MD overlook is OPEN
- Electric - $22.00/night
- Family sites - $26.00/night
- RWCC & Picnic Area – $60.00/day
- Reserved under NRRS
**Day Use Fee - No Charge**