Regulatory Sourcebook

Official source for permitting policies, guidelines, regulations and procedures of the Baltimore District Regulatory Branch.  

Processing such permits involves evaluation of individual, project specific applications in what can be considered three steps: pre-application consultation (for major projects), formal project review, and decision making. You are encouraged to contact your local District office prior to submitting a permit application. The application forms used to apply for permits depend on the state in which the work is to be accomplished.

After the state or Corps office receives the application, it will be assigned an identification number. Then within 15 days of receipt of all the required information, a determination will be made regarding the type of permit required. Depending on the type of permit process, a public notice will be issued with a 15-day to 30-day comment period, if necessary. The proposal is reviewed by the Corps, general public, special interest groups, and state, local and other related federal agencies. After the comment period, the Corps reviews all comments, and may consult other federal agencies. The Corps may ask you for additional information and conduct a public hearing, if needed. For individual permits, when all considerations are satisfied, the District Engineer makes a decision to either issue or deny the permit application. You will than receive a permit or written explanation of the reason for denial. For State Programmatic General Permits, this federal permit is usually issued along with the State's authorization. 

Aquaculture in MD

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources are accepting Joint Applications for State Commercial Shellfish Aquaculture leases and Corps of Engineers Federal Permits in the Chesapeake Bay, its tributaries and the Coastal Bays. The joint permit application should be submitted to Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Fisheries Service, Shellfish Program B-2, 580 Taylor Avenue, Annapolis, MD 21401. The DNR will forward your joint application to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers must issue a permit before you may conduct shellfish aquaculture activities on your lease. The Joint State/Federal Application for Commercial Shellfish Aquaculture leases can be downloaded here, with additional information at Maryland's Department of Natural Resources web page on Shellfish Aquaculture Program.

MD and DC (Non-Aquaculture)

For work in the District of Columbia and Maryland, use the Maryland Department of the Environment and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Joint Application for construction in any floodplain, waterway or wetlands area. 

Please mail the application to the appropriate location:

For Work in DC    For Work in Maryland 
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Baltimore District - CENAB-OP-RMS
P.O. Box 1715
Baltimore, Maryland 21203-1715
(410) 962-4500

Maryland Department of the Environment
Water Management Administration
Wetlands and Waterways Program
ATTN: Regulatory Services Coordination Office
Montgomery Park Business Center
Suite 430
1800 Washington Boulevard
Baltimore, Maryland 21230-1708

Also Send a Copy To: Also Send a Copy To:
The Associate Director
Water Quality Division
District Department of the Environment
1200 First Street, N.E., 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002

Helpful Phone Numbers   
Regulatory Services Coordination Office  (410) 537-3762 or (800) 876-0200 
Nontidal Wetlands and Waterways Division  (410) 537-3768 
Tidal Wetlands Division  (410) 537-3837  

Work in Pennsylvania

For work in Pennsylvania, use the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Joint Application. You may obtain a copy of the application from their web site or write or call the office below for an application. It is important that you provide complete information in the detail requested.

Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
Bureau of Dams, Waterways and Wetlands
Rachel Carson State Office Building
Market Street
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17105
(717) 787-6827